Friday, December 1, 2006

World AIDS day...



Today, December 1st, is the World AIDS day... What are you doing to help ?

I was first introduced to AIDS by mother in 7th grade. I was having a hard time picking a subject for an essay about social education when my mom suggested a book writen by Elizabeth Glaser about AIDS, her life as a wife and a mother and as a women in the public eye. A very powerful story about her familly.

After the first chapter, I was hooked : the militant in me wanted to scream and the little girl I was was confused... I was mad about the lack of education and the lack of information. I was also scared for the very same reasons. I spent weeks searching through scientific magazines, newspaper, the internet, libraries. My brain needed to gain knowledge as much as possible on the subject. My discovery ? Not much was being done on the subject at the time. A gigantic realisation for a 7th grader...

And I haven't chaged my mind on the subject : not nearly enough is being done on that matter.

Elizabeth Glaser lost her battle against AIDS on December 3rd, 1994 ; 13 years after having contrated the disease.

I have worn a red ribbon ever since reading her book. It might not always be seen but can always be found on me. I've also made my best to make donations to her foundation and others and participated in many walks to support local AIDS organisations.

How about you ?

3 comments:

utenzi said...

There's a lot of money involved in AIDS research from both public and private sources but it's a tough battle. An easily mutated viral disease that hides in the immune system is a worst case scenario. There's been a lot of progress in the past decade after a lot of years of nada--but no cure.

Michele sent me over, JATP.

Prego said...

It's funny how when something makes an impression on you when you're young it adheres and dictates lifelong choices.

I'll admit, I've not adopted a medical/social cause in a while. I tend to try to spread contributions with the United Way, etc.

If it's not AIDS, it's something else. My mom died from another acronym: CREST syndrome. That one came out of nowhere...

p

here via michele today.

Kara said...

I have to admit I havn't done much. I've been so wrapped up in my problems that I havnt looked beyond in awhile. I wanted to do some dinner delivery for our local aids foundation in the past then my mom get really sick. I think it's time to revisit that Idea. I want to take my son...I want his eyes open to what he can do for others....